Sunday, June 28, 2009

Goodbye, Moonwalker..

The moonwalks, the vocal hiccups, the mid-lyric hoots, the full bodied twist and 'POW' punches... Gone too soon...

My first real introduction to English music was Michael Jackson's 'Dangerous'; it was released in the mid nineties when both me and the brother were in school. Bro had borrowed an audio cassette of the album and had gone completely bonkers over it. The music was infectious, and I joined in the madness; slip in the cassette, close all the doors and windows of the bedroom, play the song at full volume! I remember 'Jam' being one of my favourite tracks. It was just a matter of time before I came to like more and more of his songs, and not long before I got completely taken by the man's dance moves.

Asianet's Rosebowl channel used to screen videos of MJ very often, and throughout my school life more and more people of my age began to try aping his dance style. Michael Jackson by now has probably become a household name everywhere in the world, despite all the reputation shattering controversies. I reckon almost everyone in the world across the continents at least knows the name of the man. From students to professionals to corporates to shopkeepers to autorikshaw drivers and so on. He had inspired a whole generation of performers, and his legacy will live on I guess.

It has been years now since I last heard his music, and was hoping that the 50 sold out concerts he was to perform at would begin a fresh lap for the king of pop. There was always a little thought at the back of my mind, a hope which believed he wasn't done yet, that he would return to enthrall the world once again. It was just utter shock I felt when I read the news of his death on the Internet. It seemed like a lie, a stupid dream at first, it almost seemed like a silly rumour. But then it sank in slowly, and every song that I've heard of his began to play and replay in my head. And now I find myself listening and re-listening to all those songs I had come to love and enjoy over a decade ago; just like I did when I first started listening to Michael Jackson.

I'm sure such is the case with millions of other fans across the continents. Perhaps that in itself is a tribute to his genius; all his music probably being played all over the world right now an indication of how much his music and performances were loved.

Thank you for the joy and the music MJ. May you find peace.

2 comments:

Saager Mhatre said...

Here! Here! I'd say our introductions to music were very similar.

Kaustuv said...

Very nice indeed! :) Was the MJ experience more than just the introduction though?